“I wish the assembly automation could adjust to my pace of work and take into account my physical and mental state”.
Role: Production Line Worker
Experience: 15 years
Thomas is responsible for operating an automated production line, adjusting it on a regular basis for product variation and making sure that everything is working as expected. During a workday, he can experience both very busy times requiring high level of focus as well as really quiet times during which his mind could slip into a wandering state. Recently, his production line was identified as one with a significantly higher number of quality issues compared to others within his facility, and his manager is considering implementing a workplace monitoring system. However, Thomas is uncertain how his personal data will be used and has reservations about the new system.
Research Theme Examples:
- Physiological sensor data fusion
- Understanding the relationship between physiological measures, workload, and cognition
Thomas’s Biggest Challenges
- Dealing with a combination of very high and very low levels of demand
- Quickly transitioning from a low level of demand (during which his mind could wander) to high demand tasks
Digital Innovation Example:
- Real time workload monitoring
- Detection of mind wandering episodes
- Framework for individual, organisational, and societal ethics, and acceptance issues